Thursday, May 9, 2013

For His Glory

"This happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life." JOHN 9:3

It is the nature of a man to ask why. We see tragedy in our world and we ask why. We encounter hardships in our lives, or suffer loss, and we ask why.. We want to know to know the reason for it all, the unifying purpose behind this strange, needy world.

But Jesus reminds us: It is for the glory of God. The universe exists to display His splendor!

We can see many specific examples in scripture:

The Israelites were kept as slaves in Egypt in order that God might be known as DELIVERER. He led them to near disaster at the edge of the Red Sea in order that He might GAIN GLORY.

Many psalms of David would never have been sung if not for his PERSECUTION.

This man in John 9 was blind for his ENTIRE LIFE "that the work of God might be displayed".

Paul suffered in order that Christ's power might be seen.

But we are slow.. We can't help but think this universe is about us, and when life is hard on us, it doesn't make sense.
If we remember that it's all about HIM, we begin to see. It all makes sense. By our CAPTIVITY He is known as DELIVERER. By our SINS He is known as SAVIOR. By our WEAKNESS he is known as POWERFUL. Next to our hatred, His love amazes. Every evil we can think of has the potential of being a platform for the goodness of God. IT'S ALL ABOUT HIM.

My prayers have evolved from a process of "improving my situation" ... to "have my situation demonstrate Your glory."

Today I am in sorrow. Heartbroken for the loss of my grandfather.. but also thankful and peaceful that my God is molding me, and I will only consider it pure Joy.

I pray that you will do the same.

Today's devotion, from my heart, to yours.



No comments:

Post a Comment